Mikrokopter Tilt or Nick?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Ever since movie cameras were invented the three axes of movement have been known as Pan, Tilt and Roll.

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know why MikroKopter insist on referring to the Tilt axis as "Nick"?

I find it aggravating to have to constantly translate the word.

jes1111

I think it originates with MK - but why they called it that I have no idea - maybe a derivation/abbreviation of a German word?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Ever since movie cameras were invented the three axes of movement have been known as Pan, Tilt and Roll.

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know why MikroKopter insist on referring to the Tilt axis as "Nick"?

I find it aggravating to have to constantly translate the word.

the three axes are being referred to as flight axes and the camera mounts seem to get caught up in the same nomenclature....technically it should be roll, nick (seems to be used in deference to MK), and yaw for the three flight axes and pan, tilt, and roll for the three camera axes.........good luck getting that adopted! :)

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The German word for tilt is neigung, I suspect that nick is either a slang term or a dialect version of that to refer to tilt as I had never heard of "nick" being used in place of tilt before I entered the world of Mk and all of its wonderful Teutonic idioms.

Ken

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I am happy with Yaw, Pitch and Roll for flight terminology and (like most others) tend to use the airplane expressions Elevator and Aileron when referring to the heli's Cyclic controls. Elevator and Aileron take less time to say than Cyclic Pitch etc. So anyway, Tilt or Pitch are what I have always been accustomed to (since the 1960's) and this expression 'nick' seems to have no bearing on anything in particular.

The French are good at this sort of thing - drives me MAD. A wonderful example is the film title The Bourne Identity. Try to find it on DVD, you never will. Because what do the French call it? "In The Skin"!

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Drives me nuts here in Portugal that films get given a new name, usually completely unrelated to the original title. Their other speciality is to distribute "foreign language" films (e.g. French, Japanese, etc.) with only Portuguese subtitles - meaning they actually took the time to remove the 17 other subtitle languages that the studio will have provided with the master. :mad:

Quick search of the German dictionary turns up the probable answer - a "nod" (as in a nod of the head) is ein Nicken in German. Makes sense, right?

Crash

Defies Psychics
The video(s) below helped me learn German when I was building my MK.

They were similar to a 'comfort food' but in video form. :p

View attachment 649
ROT_ON??
//knows nothing

Attachments

• screenshot.180.jpg
    screenshot.180.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Yeah, the French tend to do that with the subtitles too.

So, adopting the aforementioned continental translation logic whereby Pitch becomes Nod (your head), Roll could become Wobble (your head) and Yaw could become Wag (your tail). In German this gives us zu nicken, zu wackeln, zu wedeln.

Using the known example of zu nicken being shortened to Nick as a colloquialization template, we are fortunate indeed that MK have not forced us to accept Nick, Wack & Wed!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
being an austrian thus speaking german with a strong dialect :) (or at least thats what the germans say) i agree with jes1111 Nick Nicken (to nod), only plausible explanation for me.