Need a small high quality point and shoot with GPS tagging

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Anyone buy something like this lately? It would need to be remotely triggered as well but that's a secondary concern, we need a good little camera recommendation to get started.

THanks!
Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just traded my Sony Nex5n for a Sony rx100 as my travel PaS and small heli backup camera. Pretty sure most of them have that gps nowadays.

SMP

Avoid Panasonic DMZ30 - The camera IS AWESOME!!!! (on the ground)... Unfortunately the internal IS fights every gimbal we've had it on. Ironically though it has become the camera we grab when we don't want to take any of the big uns...

jfro

Aerial Fun
If I were taking part in this project, I would say GoPro w/ small gimbal. If your taking photo's, just have it click away for the whole flight. It doesn't take long to delete the shots you don't want. If shooting video, put it in narrow mode and you will get rid of most of the fish eye effect. Can't imagine flying a point and shoot instead of the gopro.

What is the job of the camera in this project? Video? Photos? Both?

SMP

Agree. Gopro 3+ once the focus is fixed is pretty darn good!!

Only reason to fly a point and shoot instead IMO would be for manual control. Gopro metering has always been dodgy but the latest "slow the shutter down to stupid" firmware makes low light AP an absolute blurry mess.

If I were taking part in this project, I would say GoPro w/ small gimbal. If your taking photo's, just have it click away for the whole flight. It doesn't take long to delete the shots you don't want. If shooting video, put it in narrow mode and you will get rid of most of the fish eye effect. Can't imagine flying a point and shoot instead of the gopro.

What is the job of the camera in this project? Video? Photos? Both?

jes1111

This is what I can't understand - why is everyone still so gung-ho enthusiastic about the GoPro while at the same conceding the long list if problems? Poor focus, dodgy metering, no manual control, complex distortion, awkward mounting, no lens shading, poor battery life, and so on, ad infinitum! ;)

SMP

Cuz its damn near plug n play on Discos and you can carry/fly the thing with you wo attracting Skyjib attention. And despite it's list of issues (to which you forgot to add, wonky firmware, random card failures and incessant lockups) it's still got a pretty decent image in a package the size of a matchbox :)

Bartman

We use the Canon S100 with CHDK. Great pictures with GPS embedded.

thanks for the replies everyone....it looks like i'm going to have to head to the camera shop for some hands-on time with a few options...

the S100 was discontinued, fwiw, and the replacement seems to use GPS from a nearby smartphone rather than onboard
the Lumix might be an option as might be the Olympus but I need to see if either can be triggered remotely and in 5 or 10 second bursts

i'll look at that dpreview site as well, very helpful, thanks!

bart

DennyR

This is what I can't understand - why is everyone still so gung-ho enthusiastic about the GoPro while at the same conceding the long list if problems? Poor focus, dodgy metering, no manual control, complex distortion, awkward mounting, no lens shading, poor battery life, and so on, ad infinitum! ;)
There seems to be an awful lot that you don't understand, The GoPro does not have any focussing system, it is set and fixed. If it is not sharp then refocus it. The metering is excellent.
Because the size of the sensor is what dictates the size and weight of everything that you will eventually put in the air it has advantages beyond what else is out there that we currently know of. Anyone with half a brain can overcome whatever shortcomings the GP3+ has optically, and as things stand at the moment it has the most sensible sensor with software that can enhance the raw imagery to beyond what most people will ever need as proven by the growing number of TV commercials. The most important factor that nobody has addressed is that you need a live view out. which rules out most of these suggestions does it not? WiiFii is 2.4 so it is not much use for what most people have. The DMZ40 is undoubtably a better camera but it needs considerable hacking for it to be of use on the average MR. Panasonic however are not interested in suggestions of how the camera can be improved as our market is considered to be too small. Despite many rave reviews, sales have not lived up to expectations. Features such as Live out are considered as only needed the for their camcorder range.View attachment 15266

With endurance set to become beyond 2 hours with small tricopters that have li ion and supercap technology plus new control theory, even these small compacts are soon going to be obsolete through their size. Clandestine Persistent Stare capability is the emerging trend.

Jess1111 you are not alone in having an infinity with the typical DSLR but without going into all that stuff again I would suggest to you that someone with your understanding of design principles you would have realized that it is a selfish and dangerous road to the ultimate destruction of this as a hobby or a commercial enterprise. The logical progression is for making craft lighter and safer. The Chinese and others will manufacture heavy lift crap all day long, if there are people ignorant enough to buy it without understanding it's full implications. Every time we see another one crashing into a crowd everyone sits there as self appointed crash investigators with wild theories about what went wrong. What was wrong was the totally flawed initial concept of building it in the first place.

Attachments

• GP3+.jpg
    GP3+.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

denny, please, you have so much to offer but insist on beating the life out a horse that is long dead.......you do things your way, others do things their way.....if you want to educate the masses on the strengths of the GoPro then please carry on as we all have a lot to learn from you but if you can't do it without the condescending approach then your info isn't going to be worth much.

regards,
bart

jes1111

I'd run with your size argument, Denny, if it was remotely logical that a DJI Phantom is less dangerous when falling into a crowd than any other size of craft. It simply isn't! The GoPro is a very useful piece of kit in the right applications - I just don't believe that aerial photography is one of them.

Beyond that, bart asked for suggestions and since, for sure, he already has a GoPro (or two) it is logical to assume that he, too, has good reasons to discount the GoPro for his current requirement.

Bartman

fwiw, i need remote triggering but not remote monitoring, GPS tagging, descent picture quality, a reasonably wide angle, and good battery life

what you guys don't realize is that Emo's his own little sleeper cell, he's got a lot up his sleeve but likes to lurk...i see you there Emo

Bartman

............EDIT............

EDIT:

denny, I've asked you enough times to moderate your attitude but you refuse to play nice in the sandbox.

i'll moderate your posts more closely and then ban you outright. i'm not telling you what to post but to behave yourself so that your information can be of some value to these discussions.

thank you,
bart

Bowley

thanks for the replies everyone....it looks like i'm going to have to head to the camera shop for some hands-on time with a few options...

the S100 was discontinued, fwiw, and the replacement seems to use GPS from a nearby smartphone rather than onboard
the Lumix might be an option as might be the Olympus but I need to see if either can be triggered remotely and in 5 or 10 second bursts

i'll look at that dpreview site as well, very helpful, thanks!

bart

S100 is discontinued but still widely available Bart. I've been looking to upgrade my S95 and the S100 can be purchased pretty cheaply, not much difference between it and the S110 just that the 110 has WIFI touch screen etc but sacrificed the on board GPS tagging. S series are cracking wee cameras, great picture quality, my prefered option even over my 600D simply because I dont have to put a 900 hex aloft with 1000mAh of lipo. and in the event of any incident I can replace the S95 for peanuts.