Ban On Drones

I am sure everyone has heard about the push of different government agencies trying to put a ban on Drones. I am not sure how to get people to rally and let the law makers know that we are just enjoying a sport and flying no different than what has been done for many many years, only with something different in design? Today I was watching our local news in South Carolina and they talked about a law that looks good to pass restricting Drones. They even want to restrict law enforcement from just taking their drone up without permits! And if they get away with that the ones we fly will for sure be restricted or banned completely! Here is one link that I found http://www.thestate.com/2013/05/14/2771486/house-bill-would-scrutinize-scpolice.html They worry about peoples privacy. If someone wanted to spy or look into someone's home there would be much easier ways than trying to navigate a drone! Always has to be someone or some group trying to take the fun away from the average person. Just my thoughts and I wish I knew how I could get the people that make these laws see that they are just wasting time and mostly destroying a fun sport.

FlyGirl

I am sure everyone has heard about the push of different government agencies trying to put a ban on Drones. I am not sure how to get people to rally and let the law makers know that we are just enjoying a sport and flying no different than what has been done for many many years, only with something different in design? Today I was watching our local news in South Carolina and they talked about a law that looks good to pass restricting Drones. They even want to restrict law enforcement from just taking their drone up without permits! And if they get away with that the ones we fly will for sure be restricted or banned completely! Here is one link that I found http://www.thestate.com/2013/05/14/2771486/house-bill-would-scrutinize-scpolice.html They worry about peoples privacy. If someone wanted to spy or look into someone's home there would be much easier ways than trying to navigate a drone! Always has to be someone or some group trying to take the fun away from the average person. Just my thoughts and I wish I knew how I could get the people that make these laws see that they are just wasting time and mostly destroying a fun sport.

+1 Jake..... It's just silly to think someone would spend a grand to see what the flabby man or woman next door is doing. I don't know where you live in S.C. Jake but check and see if there is a Drone Users Group in your area and if not, try to start one. http://www.dugn.org/ Of course there is the AMA too which I joined for the insurance but I think they will fight for us too, or I'm hoping so... If someone comes up to me while flying I always try to show them what I am doing and make sure I emphasize that our stuff isn't military class stuff, it isn't stealthy, it can't stay in the air for hours, it can't see in windows, the camera is just a plain old camera for taking neat vids and that I'm doing it because I always wanted to fly like a bird. I always let them see what I'm seeing in the goggles too....

One way is to get behind someone with a collective voice like the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) who do have lobbyist in DC as well as at state levels. They have been and continue to be proactive when it comes to legislation concerning our hobby.

Kilby

The biggest impact you can have is to show how this technology has many, many uses that can save lives, money and create jobs. I always find that I get the most traction when I point out how the US is falling behind the rest of the world in a technology that is going to be a big part of our future because the politicians can't come to an agreement. Americans hate to hear that the US is being beaten by another country in something. If you take the stance that they are destroying your hobby, you are guaranteed to get zero traction.. you and I might care about that, but the general public could give two ****s about it.

-Terry

One way is to get behind someone with a collective voice like the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) who do have lobbyist in DC as well as at state levels. They have been and continue to be proactive when it comes to legislation concerning our hobby.

Keep in mind that the US developed the original concept starting back in the 60's at a cost of approximately 1/2 billion dollars..... it started with the NASA LEM used to land men on the moon.
Dr. Kalman helped to make that possible via Kalman filtering for the IMUs. The laser gyro was developed a bit later and there were vast reductions in size of components including accelerometers, processors as a result of Moore's law - Dr. Moore at Intel.
And most recently evolved to become the Mars probe Curiousity.
And since the Chinese have acquired this US born technology, they can now sell this 1/2 billion dollar development back to us for less than $50 per IMU!

And calling them "DRONES" is like waving a red flag in front of a Bull.... giving the media a chance to attack and sensationalize it.

For the Hobbyists they are Multicopters. For the photographer/videographer they are what I like to call... flying tripods, or UAVs if used for commercial purposes.

Kilby

You can call it what ever you want, but I can 100% guarantee that if the media or a politician talks about it, it's going to be called a drone. When the laws are written, it's going to be called a drone. When you are approached by the police, they aren't going to ask you about your multirotor, it's going to be a drone to them. Personally, I'm doing everything I can to change the meaning of the word drone, and it's working wonders. You can either work to fix a problem, or ignore it.. the choice is yours.

Keep in mind that the US developed the original concept starting back in the 60's at a cost of approximately 1/2 billion dollars..... it started with the NASA LEM used to land men on the moon.
Dr. Kalman helped to make that possible via Kalman filtering for the IMUs. The laser gyro was developed a bit later and there were vast reductions in size of components including accelerometers, processors as a result of Moore's law - Dr. Moore at Intel.
And most recently evolved to become the Mars probe Curiousity.
And since the Chinese have acquired this US born technology, they can now sell this 1/2 billion dollar development back to us for less than $50 per IMU!

And calling them "DRONES" is like waving a red flag in front of a Bull.... giving the media a chance to attack and sensationalize it.

For the Hobbyists they are Multicopters. For the photographer/videographer they are what I like to call... flying tripods, or UAVs if used for commercial purposes.

You are so right but as you know there is always a person or group that just want to complain or disagree to get people riled up! I used to work with this guy who was a programmer and all he wanted to do was protest, did not matter much what it was about, only that he wanted to yell and be with a group of crazy people. I think people should have the right to their opinions, but you must use common sense above all else. But it will never be that way, so all we can do it try hard to get people to look at what they are doing? I am not sure if there is a group around my area, but I will search out and see. I am near Spartanburg, Greenville SC. about 30 miles south of the NC border. Take care

I know this is not the correct area to ask, but you mentioned the AMA. I used to belong about 20 years ago when I was learning to fly planes. But I have not been a member for about that many years. Is there an advantage to have this membership if I fly in open areas? thinking if my copter went on its own and hit something or someone's house? I remember it gave you some insurance if you flew at a club, but what if you are flying in the open and something happens? Thanks

I know this is not the correct area to ask, but you mentioned the AMA. I used to belong about 20 years ago when I was learning to fly planes. But I have not been a member for about that many years. Is there an advantage to have this membership if I fly in open areas? thinking if my copter went on its own and hit something or someone's house? I remember it gave you some insurance if you flew at a club, but what if you are flying in the open and something happens? Thanks

The AMA has their insurance program which will kick in after your homeowners gives out or in the absence of a personal policy.
It covers you when you are flying in any area legally. It need not be an AMA club field.
Secondly they do have people constantly fighting for the hobbyist.
Despite what Kilby believes, (and he's not competently wrong), organizations like these do have some effect because they provide a voice for the little guy who can't run to DC and hold up a sign on thy steps of the Capitol.
Their main motivation is your membership dollars and they have to work hard for them or they know they will lose them.
I also believe that the less often we, the community, speak the dreaded "D" word the better.
I'm a hobbyist who enjoys flying his RC models, not a government entity who enjoys blowing sh*t up. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Joining AMA or equivalent agencies in your country is generally a good step in the right direction for making it possible to fly legally and with some degree of insurance coverage but will not offer much if any value if you fly your MR for commercial purposes.