Vulcan Y6 Build - Help!

I could really do with some help here guy's!

I need help choosing motors and ESCs for my new build. I am putting together a Vulcan Y6 900mm. Its sole purpose is for photography, initially I am going to use an EOS M (Nex size) and Gimbal. My initial thoughts are to use:
4112-400KV Turnigy Multistar 22 Pole Brushless Motors and
Either T motor 40 amp or Multistar 45 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless (OPTO) ESC's. In conjunction with 15" props.
Any thoughts on my choices?

Thanks

Martin

Sounds a little too much for a light payload, but leaves your options open I guess

That was the plan. Would be interested to know if anyone has experience of these motors? Just moving up from a DJI F450 so I am a bit in the dark here. The photography is the easy bit, thats my day job!

Martin

jes1111

Turnigy is Hobby King's own brand. Personally I wouldn't put anything branded "Turnigy" on an AP rig (particularly if you're charging clients for working with it). Their quality generally sucks (and their customer service is non-existent).

Tiger is a good choice - their motors are always good. Don't know who makes their ESCs (could be themselves) but the quality is most likely good.

Check your choices by using eCalc - http://ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en - you should be aiming for around 50% throttle to hover and a flight-time to suit your needs.

Stacky

I have a set of multistar 3508 580kv motors I bought to put on a mess around quad for LOS practice. I was pleasantly surprised at their quality. Well balanced, well made and they are quiet and smooth. The set I have are too small for your needs but from my experience with this set I would happily buy them again, I think they are of a decent quality. They appear to me to be of similar quality to my Tiger motors. I also have a set of 20amp multistar esc's that so far have been performing just fine although they have only been in use for about 2 months with little air time on them.
I have been using Turnigy Plush esc's for close to 3 years now. I have probably bought and used somewhere near 30 of these in various sizes for various builds. I havent had a single issue ever with any of them. I have one set of 40 amp plush in my large Hexa I use for work. They have been in that Hexa for 18 months now with about 15 hours of actual air time on them. Never skipped a beat. That Hexa is going to be stripped down soon and rebuilt and a new set of Plush esc's will be going in to it. I cant recall having seen anyone mention they have had any problems with the Plush series although there probably is someone out there but from practical experience that i have had and others I know in real life have had they are a pretty solid esc.

jes1111

Yep - their ESCs are generally good. Some of the batteries can be okay. But I'm pretty sure their motors are usually pants :)

I'm also a photog, Martin - using Turnigy motors to carry an EOS M would be like using a cheapo Vivitar tripod ;) (IMHO)

Tuomas P.

I am flying mine successfully with Tiger 2814 770kv motors, 30A controllers and 13x6,5 APC props. With an Alexmos gimbal and the Blackmagic pocket its just over 5 kg. Battery is a 4s 8000 or 10000.
TP.

Thanks to everyone for the info, I will look at the plush ESC's. The frame arrived today and I am really pleased. The standard of engineering is really high! Still not sure about motor choice...... keep coming up with suggestions! I will post pics as I start to build next week.

Quick question, shouldn't I be looking at OPTO ESC's the 40amp Plush doesn't appear to be?

THANKS! Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

On my Vulcan flat hex I also use MT2814's I use APC 12" props and carry a cinestar gimbal and medium sized DSLR. Hovers at just under 50% throttle with 2x 4S 5000mAh.