Aeronavics / Droidworx Folding your Droidworx booms and retaining motor alignment

ZAxis

I am well into a Droidwrox X8 build and intend to use their recommended arm folding arangement for transport. This involves removing the outer boom fittings and pivoting the arms on the inner ones so they lay along side each other.
View attachment 13698
Coaxial craft really do require almost perfect vertical alignment of the motors and this normally achieved by 'tweaking' the booms in loosened clamps and tightening up when all is correct.
This does not fit in well with removing bits and having the inner clamps a liitle loose to permit the folding. I don't want to have to realign things every time it is unpacked. Droidworx seem to believe its not a problem but what do others think ?

andy

Attachments

• folded.jpg
    folded.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 534

airship

in my opinion... folding is a nice feature but i think that move-move-move and again move cable that are into the boom is not a good think.

cbpagent72

in my opinion... folding is a nice feature but i think that move-move-move and again move cable that are into the boom is not a good think.

I would think that if you build it and leave a couple inches of cable slack you should be okay. I receive my SkyJib 6 tomorrow and when I start building it, the folding arms will be one of the things that I will mess with and see how much cable slack I need.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Dantallus

Being the owner of a flat Jib 8 I wonder about ESC placement that would allow for that. My ESC's are sandwiched between the mounting plates, between the booms for protection

ZAxis

Being the owner of a flat Jib 8 I wonder about ESC placement that would allow for that. My ESC's are sandwiched between the mounting plates, between the booms for protection

You will not be able to have anything between the plates if you want to fold all 8 arms. We have the ESC's on a Droidwork Power Distribution Board mounted on standoffs above the top plate.
On our X4 we do have space between the two front and two rear arms into which we have placed LEDs, drivers and power supplies. The two side spaces are reserved so the arms can fold below the battery plates.

The ability to fold is very useful and if all the cables that come down the core of the arms are silicone and have a little free movement, it works very well.
We did add some self adhesive Teflon tape between the inner arm clamps and the top & bottom plates to prevent scuffing with repeated use.

andy

rotorvista

my SJ6 folds down nicely but now I just remove the landing gear, gimbal and props and leave the rest assembled it really reduces setting up time to about 10 minutes View attachment 14142

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 352

dazzab

I don't fold my coax SkyJib but I don't think folding it would have any effect on alignment. Once a Droidworx is tightened up there's just no way anything can fit without being aligned. There's no room for misalignment from what I can see.