Mikrokopter Parameter (mainly PID?) tuning for windy conditions and a min gas question

Mactadpole

Well after my successful maiden flight last night I wanted to do some more flying today. But of course it was windy (10-15mph). I went ahead and walked to my little flying spot with pockets loaded with batteries. I had set my Gyro-P and Gyro-I to my knobs/dials on the tx so I could do some tuning. Everything was at stock values. The heavy-lift X8 flew well but was experiencing a lot more wind induced drift than I had experienced when flying with the HFP FC. It required near constant input to keep from drifting. I tried upping the I value but have now read I probably should have been lowering it. I also played with P-value some as well. I really did not notice much of a change in flight characteristics. I went from 100 to 132 on P and 120 to 177 on I. I also read that I should try lowering the dynamic stability. How do I go about getting it to hold itself against the wind better?

Also, on the maiden flight last night I noticed that if I landed and stopped the motors from spinning and then started them up again they would not all start at the same time. It worked fine on the bench, but after a few minutes of flying outside it starts. So, I upped my min gas from 14 to 16 for todays flights. Sure enough it was doing the same thing and it was a little worse after a couple flights. I am going to do the esc calibration procedure on the I2C converter and up the min gas value by 2 again. Any other suggestions?

Shawn

Mactadpole

After a couple more flights this morning in little to no wind it hit me why I was seeing this wind drift that was much more pronounced than when flying with HFP board. AUTO-LEVEL!! Duh! The MK is trying to keep itself level and therefore can't find the wind. I rarely flew in auto-level with the HFP board because I didn't like the wind drift and I really liked how it would hold position in the wind. Even though it was tilted it really did a great job of staying put, and with the camera stabilization it did a pretty fair job of keeping the gimbal level. Is it possible to turn off auto-level on the MK? If so, would it behave similar to HFP in the wind? If not, this is a strike against MK for me.

Still curious about any recommendations for tuning in the wind.

Thanks, Shawn

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I am sure I have seen this auto level turn off in the FC set up but it aint called that.. Have you put some foam and shrink wrap around the altitude sensor?

Mactadpole

I am sure I have seen this auto level turn off in the FC set up but it aint called that.. Have you put some foam and shrink wrap around the altitude sensor?

I don't know what it is called either, I would think it could certainly be done. This behavior occurs whether altitude is on or off, it is a horizontal drift. Altitude hold actually works very well. It pretty much just sticks to the ceiling when I hit the switch, even in some wind. I do have the sensor wrapped and covered with a pretty good fit by the dome.

Mactadpole

Have you calibrated your channels?

What Firmware version are you using?

By calibrating channels do you mean making sure they go to -125/+125 and are 0 in the center? If so, yes. I am running the latest firmware (i believe its .84a).

BTW - I am super sorry to hear about your accident! I hope the misses understands.

Thanks, Shawn

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
BTW - I am super sorry to hear about your accident! I hope the misses understands.

Well I am still alive! She was very understanding and also very sorry coz she has seen me pulling my hair out for the last few weeks and knew it meant so much to me that I sorted it and this one stupid mistake has set me back again... best go buy her some flowers..

By calibrating channels do you mean making sure they go to -125/+125 and are 0 in the center? If so, yes
YEP

Try down grading the firmware.. Quadcopters had the same issue on his new DW MK hexa, he down graded the firmware and the problem went away..

Dave

crcr

Shawn, did you find a fix to this issue? I have an issue where the X8 bobs up and down quite a bit in and out of AH. Not sure which setting to change on the Altitude tab? I have the sensor wrapped in foam with some heat shrink over.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
what is this calibration of the channels that you guys are referring to?
thx
bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Shawn, did you find a fix to this issue? I have an issue where the X8 bobs up and down quite a bit in and out of AH. Not sure which setting to change on the Altitude tab? I have the sensor wrapped in foam with some heat shrink over.

You may want to go here and do some reading, it will explain what the settings do, or moare accurately it's the best explanation you're likely to find... ;) http://mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MK-Parameter/Altitude

Ken

Mactadpole

Have not found a solution yet. It's all kind of on hold at the moment, unfortunately. Wish I could assist but it looks like other already are!

Shawn

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the foam over the pressure sensor is meant to keep transient pressure variations from making the MK jumpy in AH. The foam should not be dense or fitted too tightly to the hole in the sensor where air pressure is measured.
bc in NJ

Mactadpole

Likely setting the K values for the TX end point adjustments.

Ken

Bart, Yes ^. You have to adjust the endpoints on your TX for yaw,elv,and ail so that those k values are 0 at center stick and go to +/-125 at either end. For the throttle you just need to make sure it runs between +/- 125.

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:

crcr

I sorted the bobing up and down by raising the min gas but still having trouble trying to get both "Height limit" and "vario height" to work at all.

Is there a way to test the pressure sensor to make sure its working?

I'm also having issues with horizontal drift even with PH on, can someone please point me to the parameters that I need to change for this. I have Alt-P on the tx knob and adjusted in flight but didn't notice any change, currently its around 106. I also raised the GPS gain from 72 to 80 but still no difference.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

crcr

I think I've finally got the PH and AH working pretty good on calm days. What parameter/s do you guys adjust when the wind gets up? I have tried just adjusting the GPS gain but it starts doing the toilet bowl.

Thanks,
Craig