Newb upgrading from NazaM v3.10 to 3.16: What to consider?

phippsj

Updating from v3.10 firmware to v3.16, is this a good idea?

Fairly new to the multi-rotor side of the hobby, and I'm not a programmer, just a user.

What things should I consider before performing this upgrade? I know about the settings returning to default. Can I save the default settings to a folder, or should I just write them down?

I had my local hobby shop program my flamewheel after I built it, and I've flown the thing maybe 20 times since then but haven't played with the settings enough to know what I'm doing.

Suggestions for this newb?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
If you are going to upgrade, I suggest you read around first, find out what bugs others have had with 3.16. Myself, I stayed with 3.12 as it seems the most stable so far, other have been on your route just to turn back.

What you need to do if you move up, write down all of your settings, make a backup of your settings before you upgrade, then you need to reset the Naza to defaults and dial all the settings back in again, don't load a configuration but manually put them back in.

I can't tell you to do anything, make sure it is something you really want to do, before you do it.

phippsj

Thanks. Converting from giant scale gas planes to electric multi-rotors and planes. All of the GPS guidance is nice, but I'm a mechanical engineer, not a programmer, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this DJI software.

Any help I can get is much appreciated!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
There is not too much to it really, you download the new firmware and the new Assistant program and the upgrade will happen. Pretty much does it itself, but it will wipe out your settings, so you need to make notes on what is where. I.E. gains and so forth....

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I have been running the 3.16 firmware on a Disco just fine but not quite so happy with 3.16 on my 550 hex but that might be a motor or ESC glitch.

V4.0 is out now so going to have a play with that as soon as the Assistant software can find the update.

Pete

phippsj

Ok. I upgraded to v4.00 and re- entered all my settings, recalibrated, etc.

I'll give it a spin this weekend to see how it flys.

you need to make notes on what is where. I.E. gains and so forth....

Ah ha!. There it is again.
It's that "and so forth" that is always mentioned, but never defined, that keeps me from upgrading.
Like phippsj I am not a programmer. It's why I fly Naza instead of Wii or any superior FC's.
Programming scares the devil out of me especially when I have an acceptable flying craft.
Can you explain exactly what "and so forth" actually entails beyond the gains?

phippsj

It's that "and so forth" that is always mentioned, but never defined, that keeps me from upgrading.
Like phippsj I am not a programmer. It's why I fly Naza instead of Wii or any superior FC's.
Programming scares the devil out of me especially when I have an acceptable flying craft.

I just took a picture of each screen with my phone and then input all the values after upgrading the software. Didnt have to write down anything.

I like the range limits that I can specify. Might keep me from flying too far away to see it.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by stitch1615

I just took a picture of each screen with my phone and then input all the values after upgrading the software. Didnt have to write down anything.

I like the range limits that I can specify. Might keep me from flying too far away to see it.

But you still didn't answer the question. LOL