Want more air time

bensid54

I have a DJI450 with a Naza light with GPS that gets about five minutes with a three cell 2200mha 20c lipo. I want to install some lights and a FPV system but I also want the most time I can get flying it with all of this feeding off the main battery, any suggestions?

I have a DJI450 with a Naza light with GPS that gets about five minutes with a three cell 2200mha 20c lipo. I want to install some lights and a FPV system but I also want the most time I can get flying it with all of this feeding off the main battery, any suggestions?
My F450 + GPS + Zen + GoPro + video downlink gets about 11-13 minutes on a single 3S 6000mah battery with LEDs on the front and back (I.e. 4 strips of ~40 cm).

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
4S 3000mh pack should get you at least 9 minutes air time, gets me 9 1/2 in my Discovery.

Pete

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
Going 4s is an excellent idea. More volts means you can use less amperage to get the same amount of power (or more). If you do go 4s I suggest going with smaller 8x4 props and going with a 4s rated motor of around 750-900kv. You will need to tune the quad if you go 4s.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Good advice above...... But in my case I have a S800 clone, i.e., RCT800 with 420 kv motors and 15 x 5 cf props running on parallel 6S - 5000 mah Nanotech batteries. How much airtime will I get if I carry the Red Epic shown on the dolly next to my Hexacopter....... ha. ;-) !!!. :highly_amused:;-) Maybe if I get them to change down to a smaller lens!!!View attachment 13311:highly_amused:

Attachments

• Red Epic.jpg
    Red Epic.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 331

FlyGirl

I have the same setup as you do Ben and I'm using 4s 5000 mAh batteries. I get 12 to 13 minutes of easy flying. Still experimenting with props though... Happy flying!

bensid54

I get 8 minutes with two 2200 3 cell batteries in parallel and have about 40% left so it sounds like a single large mha battery is the better bet.

I get 8 minutes with two 2200 3 cell batteries in parallel and have about 40% left so it sounds like a single large mha battery is the better bet.
Bensid, we may not be talking apples to apples here. When I read Farrealm's information I had to assume he doesn't have any landing gear or gimbal or OSD or anything to get that kind of time, which is possible, just on a basic MR setup.
Your numbers seem more reasonable for an F450 with landing gear and gimbal; is that correct?

Farrealm

Yep, PPWB is right. Time is just for a standard F450 setup... no extras. I'll test with some extra weight to see how it goes.

bensid54

Gimbal is not set up yet and the landing gear is aluminum add on about three and one half inches long each, other than the add on landing gear it's stock. I also think that my settings make a difference, I'm almost done as far as tweaking the adjustments go and that affects battery drainage. I also switch between GPS and att operation as well as GPS lock and att lock and sometimes blast around with the odd quick climbs. Is yours all set up Farrealm?

Farrealm

Hi Bensid,

No, mine isn't fully set up yet and still needs its landing gear and cam. I have a Quadframe 155mm (195 grams), it's a nice landing gear but seems like overkill (may leave it for an F550 and use something more 'subtle' for my F450).

Anyway, the post got me thinking and I tested how long my 3S 3600mAh would last with a payload. I added a second 3600mAh pack (not connected...) to simulate some dead weight. The pack weights in at 313 grams. This extra weight easily fits a GoPro and a simple landing gear. I did some hover tests indoors (130km/h winds outside, not sure if the GPS lock is THAT good :nevreness:). Landed about every minute to test the voltage (I know, not under load but anyway). At a total weight of 1440 grams it seems that I will get just under 9 minutes of hover leaving the 3S with a 20% charge. All runs pretty cool. By the way, I am using DJI 10x3.8 props

(current setup: DJI F450 stock with Naza M Lite + GPS, 3S 3600mAh, DJI 10x3.8 props, Spectrum DX7s + AR8000 - setup for GPS, ATTI, manual and automatic failsafe, and home lock).

View attachment 13643

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 6.40.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 6.40.18 PM.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 333

bensid54

Maybe it's because my batteries are not new as to why I get average eight minutes. Once these one pack in it I'm thinking of going four cell or 5000mha 3 cell batteries my props are ten inch as well. I find if the gain is set too high it warms up the motors more plus drains the batteries faster.

jfro

Aerial Fun

I get 12.5-15.5 minutes on my F450, about 1800 grams (I think), Tiger 2216 900kv, 12" 4.5 Apc Slow Fly, Naza V2, Tarot 2 axis gopro gimbal, & 5000mah 4s 30c or 40c batteries. This is just filming, ie slow flying. The 15.5 is on 2 new batteries that are 2 weeks old. The others are 4-5 month old batteries.

bensid54

I was thinking of going that battery route once my existing batteries are no longer doing their job. I plan on using Fat Shark FPV on a gimbal but right now I'm still a babe in the woods on multi rotor so I may just static mount the camera for now.

H3DP

Hollywood 3D Printing
Bensid54 -- if you want more fly time you should find some ways to save weight.

You can try these 3D printed DJi 450 / 550 arms.

-Made of 100% ABS+.
-Durable
-Custom sparse infill dramatically saves weight without sacrificing structural integrity. This can only be achieved with special 3D printing.
-Only 31g (standard arm weight 53g). Save a total of 88g (DJI 450) or 132g (DJI 550)!!!
-Colors include: White, Black, Orange, and Glow in the Dark

http://www.hollywood3dprinting.com/s..._Products.html

Drone flying is a game of numbers. Use our 3D printing technology to save your drone 88g-132g, which is about the weight of an iPhone 5!