California Film Commission, just say no to sUAS

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm kind of surprised it took them this long to make a CYA statement like this, the whole FAA regulation thing has been churning for a few years now. It appears that we'll finally get a glimpse of what they've cooked up sometime this month when the FAA releases their proposed regulations for comment, or at least they've said it would be released in June, remains to be seen if it actually happens.

It's been said the worst case scenario is an outright ban which is unlikely, more probable is a hefty pile of regulations for commercial sUAS flight like FAA registration for each craft used for commercial purposes along with pilot licensing, flight and maintenance logs, and a host of other rules that until now applied mainly to fixed and rotary wing passenger carrying aircraft.

The AMA in the US has been lobbying heavily for the FAA to keep noncommercial (hobby) use as it was before or at the most allow it to be policed by community based organizations which effectively means the AMA in this instance. In any case the waiting should soon be over and we'll get a peek at what's in store once the proposed regulations become law.

Ken

Macsgrafs

Seems the CFC is a private body & not government run, they have commercial interests to keep FULL SIZE for filming as they dont want the man on the street to make thier full size aircraft obsolete, very greedy. Why not film standing in the sea or river beds as these aren't state owned. I'm surprised in CA doing this as they seem liberal with cannabis use!!!

Ross

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Just a quick update on where the FAA is with the release of the proposed rules that will govern commercial sUAS use in the USA, not surpingly the June date is long gone and the current status from the FAA is the following...

On May 12th representatives of FAA’s Unmanned Aircraft Program Office (UAPO) attended the Joe Nall fly-in at the Triple Tree Aerodrome and met with the attendees at the AMA annual meeting. For the most part they appeared very impressed with the professional manner in which the event was conducted and the level of safety achieved at the various venues and concurrent MA operations.

Thursday evening the FAA representatives provided a briefing on the status of the sUAS rulemaking process similar to the briefing presented during the AMA Expo in January. The information was very much the same and the sUAS rulemaking continues to be a work in progress. In an update on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) timeline it was announced that the NPRM release date has slipped to late Fall 2011. The previously projected date of September 1st has now moved to late November or early December. Optimistically the NPRM release could come before Thanksgiving, but if not, it would not be surprising to see the date slip into the New Year.

-Rich Hanson, AMA Government Relations and Regulatory Affairs Representative

Macsgrafs

Reading RT's post, then it would seem logical if there is no law against sUAS, then for now it's lawful!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The current FAA position is that commercial use has to meet their thus far loosely defined certification requirements but the catch 22 is that they haven't defined a process to certify a pilot/sUAS for commercial use so therefore any commercial use is illegal because it's not certified.

Don't you just love their logic?

I don't know of a case where the government has attempted prosecution so far but personally I'd rather not be the test case...

Ken

Macsgrafs

Gary, you mean statutes & not laws! There is a world of difference between the 2, aska policeman & he wont know...because police comes from the word policy, in other words he's a policy enforcement officer, pushing corrupt acts/statutes upon us.
Ken you hit the nail on the head, if they cant supply a process then how can one be breaking any statutes? As human rights declare, "A law must be CLEARLY PRESCRIBED", which means written down BEFORE you can be charged with it....seems nothing is written down as law, therefore its not a law.
If you guys want to expand your minds...just google for "John Harris, It's an illusion"

Now answer me what is the difference between commercial use & pleasure use, apart from money?

Ross

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Now answer me what is the difference between commercial use & pleasure use, apart from money?

That ones got me beat to... the rest of your post does ask some good questions and raises some very valid points

Dave

Macsgrafs

Quite right Sid, you know it makes sense ;)
Now you are seeing the bigger picture Dave....your birth certificate makes you a slave to the state (long story & here isnt the right place), so the state want complete control & your money. Kill the person (birth certificate) & become a human being where only common law applies...no rubbish rip off statutes.

Ross