Alpha/Beta frame testers - what's the normal protocol?

Hi all,

I'm currently prototyping a new quad frame design, with the aim of commercial sales for xmas 2013.

I will have around 4 "alpha" frames in July, with plans for 4 "beta" frames in September, with sales starting in December.

I will be using the "master" as my own testbed for improvements, but would be interested to know what the correct method is for engaging fellow flyers for testing?

My initial thoughts are:
- Provide them with alpha and beta frames for free, in return for constructive design alteration ideas
- Set out my test objectives
- Possible inclusion of preferred battery and/or FC on understanding it/they are returned.
- Generous incentive for production frame if they are happy enough with it (eg: 50% off price, or even free).
- Part of the test is how adaptable the frame is to load outs; they provide and test their own internals.
- I set out the ideal testers pool. Ideally an experienced quad builder, an experienced X8 builder, a newb and a video pro

Legal bits:
- I accept no liability for their use of this frame, or any injuries or material damage it may cause to them or third parties
- They sign a commercial NDA (there may be patents involved)

...or am I doing it all wrong? My concern is that 3 months per build is too short.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am a new forum member and I'm looking to start building my own Multirotor copter. I have a fair amount of technical ability and engineering ability, as well as a creative mind for solving problems. I would love to help you out. I have no interest in becoming a manufacture or a capability to do such, but would love the hands on experience I could gain from working with your products. Let me know if I would be a suitable canidate for your test group. PM or email would be best way to contact me.

Thanks,
Tim

SMP

Think you're spot on with your approach - Suggest you engage RTRyder and Kloner at a minimum.