Video Downlink specific to IOSD!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
An approved distributor for DJI indicates the following for their 5.8Ghz video downlink system...."The new DJI Downlink is specially designed to work with the new On Screen Display module, and Zenmuse gimbal for professional aerial photography and video" . Does this means that the DJI iOSD original and iOSD Mark 2 will not work with other video downlink systems? :dejection:

No, that isn't the case. The VDL accepts standard definition video (I used it on one MR with iOSD, and one without), and the iOSD also outputs standard definition video (to allow you to hook up to other VDL).
However, the iOSD comes with a special 6-pin wire that goes between the iOSD and the VDL. Those pins provide the SD video to the VDL, as well as power. But more uniquiely, it also includes a special output pins used by the VDL to control the VDL Tx channel. On my MR without the iOSD, I have to select the VDL Tx channel on the ground since I can't change it in the air. However, with the iOSD installed, I wired one receiver output to the iOSD and with that I can select between the two video inputs, as well as select the VDL Tx channel for optimum signal.