A Noob’s MultiRotor Objectives - Opinions?

Harrier1

Greetings gentlemen.

I’m looking to soon pull the trigger on a DJI 450 quad but have not yet ruled out the 550. I’d rather do a 450 for the fact of having 2 fewer motors and props to possibly fail . . . call me cynical. As well, the expense would be slightly cheaper, but frankly the 550 might be overkill.

What do I plan to do with it? Aerial photography is a must, although I have no intentions of pursuing it professionally ... I’m mainly interested in just seeing what things look like from above. In which case I see no need to lift anything heavier than a GoPro camera. Besides, even if I were to unexpectedly change my mind in the future, there’s no way I will ever consider flying my DSLR . . . it ain’t going to happen!

So flying with a GoPro and utilizing a FPV system with separate camera is all I plan to ever lift with my multirotor. I do plan to employ upgraded motors and props, for security and peace of mind. Naza with GPS is a certainty as well. That said, I’m looking at using a 450 as opposed to a 550. So what do we think, is this payload well within the capabilities of a DJI 450?

- Bill -

Tomstoy2

Won't be a problem at all. For a better motors look at Tiger motors, mt2216-900kv. They are great motors. Pushing close to 300 flights on mine and still running fine. DJI esc's are fine. The trick is to have Simonk firmware flashed on any other brand. The DJI esc's are already capable of a high refresh rate. 30 amp is recommended. If you have any questions, just ask. This is the place to be.

While the F550 has the benefit of two extra motors, the diameter of the props is the key limitation which leads to a need for arm extenders or longer arms or you need to raise the motor rpm and/or prop pitch.

A Quad allows a bit more prop diameter without the arm extenders. Another think to consider is that the WKM will enable the pilot to possibly land his Hex with one motor lost...... can't do that with a Quad or with a Naza controller.
Also the super tiny hi-res cameras such as GoPro3 have a rolling shutter or electronic equivalent.... so there is a challenge getting rid of the jello!!!!
Adding a dual axis gimbal also drives the weight up and the 2 servos draw current........ Bottom line is that it is quite a challenge to keep the weight of your MR down enough to fly payloads for any length of time.

But it can be done.....

Greetings gentlemen.

I’m looking to soon pull the trigger on a DJI 450 quad but have not yet ruled out the 550. I’d rather do a 450 for the fact of having 2 fewer motors and props to possibly fail . . . call me cynical. As well, the expense would be slightly cheaper, but frankly the 550 might be overkill.

What do I plan to do with it? Aerial photography is a must, although I have no intentions of pursuing it professionally ... I’m mainly interested in just seeing what things look like from above. In which case I see no need to lift anything heavier than a GoPro camera. Besides, even if I were to unexpectedly change my mind in the future, there’s no way I will ever consider flying my DSLR . . . it ain’t going to happen!

So flying with a GoPro and utilizing a FPV system with separate camera is all I plan to ever lift with my multirotor. I do plan to employ upgraded motors and props, for security and peace of mind. Naza with GPS is a certainty as well. That said, I’m looking at using a 450 as opposed to a 550. So what do we think, is this payload well within the capabilities of a DJI 450?

- Bill -

Dewster

The DJI F450 is great for portability. There's nothing more cumbersome than transporting a big aircraft. The F-450 will allow you to take your craft just about anywhere. You probably have more transport options, especially if you find yourself hiking with intent of getting an aerial view. I always think twice about putting my heavy Y6 in the air. I think I had more fun flying my F-450.

Having less motors means less power consumption = less batteries required to maintain good flight time.
The F-450 will easily accommodate a Gopro camera although the spacing may get a little tight with FPV gear.

Choose good props and motors and you shouldn't have to worry about a prop disintegrating in flight.

People posts their setups on this forum and it can give you a good start point on motor/prop/battery selection. YouTube is also a good resource.

Harrier1

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. So I'm understanding an F450 will be just fine for my intended payload, maybe just a little cramped for space with the FPV system. And I like the portability consideration, hadn't thought of that. Now a couple more questions . . .

The KV value of motors seems to always get mentioned - what's the KV value represent and what's better, higher or lower?

And in terms of prop quality, is carbon best, wood next best, and plastic least best? Is there another grade? What is a composite?

Peter, you mention "WKM" which I have not heard of before, what's that all about?

Electro 2

"What's the KV value represent and what's better, higher or lower?"
RPM per volt, check Wikipedia. Neither is "best" as it's aircraft dependant and more so, battery voltage dependant. For your 450, you'd probably be running 3 or 4 cells, so for a reasonably efficient target prop speed of 8000 or so, you'd be looking at 600 to 900 as optimum. The 360s and the like are for big 6 cell aircraft, the 1100s are for airplanes and helicopters.

"Plastic least best"
Start with plastics. They work OK and you'll be crashing and breaking them for a while. At 40 bucks-a-crack for laid-up carbons it will get old quick.

"WKM" which I have not heard of before, what's that all about"
The Woo Kong-M is DJI's top-of-the-line autopilot product. Very much overkill at this stage of the game, to my way of thinking.

Harrier1

Thanks Electro2.

Next question: Is an 8 channel radio really necessary? I have a DX6i that I was hoping to use.

Another Q: Are the F450 and F550 comparable in stability?

There is a lot of hidden complexity and options offered in these MR controller systems. To get the most out of them you need a minimum of 8 channels although you might be able to get by with 7 but that is a greater configuration challenge.

I suspect that it took a lot of effort by DJI to cram so many features and variables into so few channels.......
They probably did this to accomodate potential buyers with limited RC radios systems. I
f they really opened up all the features for remote adjusment and control it is unlikely that 14 channels would be enough.

The Futaba Super T8FG s.bus Tx and Rx is advertised as an 8 channel system but with the Transmitter will accomodate future channels up to a maximum of 14.
You will need at least 8 in my opinion. If you move up to the WKM you will have the options to remotely control additional variables such as advanced parameters from your IPhone or IPad etc.

You don't have to be a member of MENSA to configure and fly MRs but it can sure help!!! :tennis:

Thanks Electro2.

Next question: Is an 8 channel radio really necessary? I have a DX6i that I was hoping to use.

Another Q: Are the F450 and F550 comparable in stability?

Harrier1

Dang!

Well if I HAVE to I would likely lean toward a Futaba 8 channel, because I was (am) not impressed with Spectrum's ability to explain their radios' capabilities. The information is detailed, yes, but not necessarily complex or difficult, so what's so hard about explaining it to people . . . a real annoyance with me.

DDuncan

Love these noob threads, since I stick right in the middle of it! I'm currently debating the merits of a 450 vs 550 frame for professional video....

Tomstoy2

If you think the Spectrum manual is difficult, the Futaba will drive you up a wall! Did me anyway. There are plenty of users of both systems here, so if you need help, just ask. That's what I did, got it all straightened out. I have both, actually, only use my Spectrum on shr's and reserve my Futaba for my multi's. That's just due to me not wanting to buy a bunch of Futaba receivers, otherwise I would. The Futaba is by far a better radio, more configurable.

Harrier1

If you think the Spectrum manual is difficult, the Futaba will drive you up a wall! Did me anyway. There are plenty of users of both systems here, so if you need help, just ask.
See, I did some technical writing in my day, and when they can't adequately describe their product I lose patience real fast.

Thank goodness for internet colleagues.

Anyway, so now a $300 new radio is driving me even more to an F450. lol

We, the MR Pilots, do not program RC Transmitters...... it is the RC Transmitters that program our minds into a specific bias toward the one we are most familiar with.
Both Spectrum and Futaba are excellent choices. But since DJI incorporates d.bus in the product line, it is clear that they have a strong appreciation for Futaba s.bus etc. (s.bus = d.bus in this case at least).
The most technically superior tech products tend to be developed by programmers who are completely incapable of explaining their work in layman's terms.

If you think the Spectrum manual is difficult, the Futaba will drive you up a wall! Did me anyway. There are plenty of users of both systems here, so if you need help, just ask. That's what I did, got it all straightened out. I have both, actually, only use my Spectrum on shr's and reserve my Futaba for my multi's. That's just due to me not wanting to buy a bunch of Futaba receivers, otherwise I would. The Futaba is by far a better radio, more configurable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harrier1

You know, on second thought I may stick with Spectrum . . . why have two different styles of idiocy pulling at me?

Seriously.

Electro 2

A few points. I never looked at the book that came with my recently purchased Spektrum radio, set-up was very much self-explanatory. I haven't owned any of the recent Futabas, so they may be too. I used Futaba radios in my last RC outing, 25 years ago, but that was a whole different ball game. The larger frame will be more stable. Longer arms, 6 motors vs. 4, higher weight, all contribute. If you want to do serious photography, not just "zooming around", you'll want all the stability you can get.