multiWii nub question ...

guy1a

Hi guys

any chance some one over here can help with multiwii ? ...

i have HK basic miniwii lite bord.

flashed with 2.1 version.
tried some tricopter setup ... no luck.
now on a quad same no luck.

the connection to computer goes well.
the sensors work fine (i think )

i can't understand how to change the settings for PID.

when i change the numbers on the computer GUI and write to MW .. the parameters are changed but the bord is not ..

like it has way too much gain.

this is how it looks on the quad.
( on the video, i apply constant throttle and the quad jumps .. looks like a lot of gain )

so i reduce - write - try .. the same.

i went from 1..10 for all of them .. no change.

what am i doing wrong ? ..

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electro 2

Yup, gains are waaaay to high on Gyro, maybe others too. Any doubts about writing to the card, hit "read" after you write, then it will grab the values that are in the board at that moment. Note that any values changed in GUI but not written to the card are high-lighted in a different color, after a write to the board, they turn white again. This all assumes you have a solid connection to the card, too. The as-shipped GUI (in the zip package) sometimes drops connection seemingly randomly, the EOSBandi one, "MultiWii Win GUI", not so. It's all I use. That said, I'd flush the EEPROM in the card clean with the Arduino utility EEPROM write utility, (It's under "Examples" in the pull-downs) and then re-flash your stuff. Sometimes the EEPROM contents get corrupted, this stops it. Also, I wouldn't waste any time with V2.1 as V2.2 is radically superior in virtually every way. The config.h file edits are very similar and it should't take any time to edit your machine in.

guy1a

hi

thank you so much for the reply !!
though the numbers do change when i 'read' so i think the 'write' works ... but the overall proccess does not seem to work.

i will try the program you said.

EDIT:
man !! you help millions !!

this is so much better interface :)
now i understand.

thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

guy1a

well after two hours playing with gains .. and trying 3 kinds of vibration isolation ... there is some vibrations in the sensors live view when motors run.

the power to motors still come in bursts ..

can't take of. just for test i put hk2.1 bord and kk2 both can fly. so i think my multiwii is broken.

will send it back.

gracias.

Electro 2

Balance the props and motors! Precisely. There should be *no* visible vibration of any sort in the raw sensor data. This alone could confuse the MW card. If you think this is an issue, uncomment the gyro filters in the config.h file, (i.e. turn them on), and try a flight. Some boards are less sensitive to this than others, but really accurate inertial guidance comes from truly accurate sensors.

guy1a

electro2 .. you are the MAN !!

today i finaly got the quad to hover !
man i am so happy :)

i need to set a better gain .. but now i know it is possible.

another question please if i may.
i have this barometer bmp085 .. i uncommented the relevant line in code ( i hope ) and uploaded to FC...
now .. how can i connect that while connected to ftdr ??
can i opverlap them together ?

test hovering in stabilize mode

test hovering in manual mode

thank you !

Electro 2

"How can I connect that while connected to FTDR ?? can I overlap them together?"

What in the world is a FTDR ??? No clue. If this is a "Mega" board the baro is on there, and bussed in to the MCU already. 1st video appears to have either gyro gains (pitch and roll) still too high, OR, gyro "D" too high. How much does this thing weigh, and then send us your "PID grid". It should be velvet smooth and it's not.

guy1a

hi

i am not sure what is gain grid..

the fc is from hobbyking and the barometer is a little board from ebay. there are six wires that should connect the same place the usb burner board connect.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9694

the gains are not correct yet. i know that. but i was so happy i could get it to fly ... :)

the weight is about 700 grams as now .. i am guessing .. did not use scale.

thanks.

Electro 2

> I am not sure what is gain grid.

A screen capture of your settings grid as shown in the GUI.

> the FC is from HobbyKing and the barometer is a little board from ebay.

No experience with seperate board setups here, as I ahve a Mega. Maybe someone else will chime in.

>the gains are not correct yet. i know that.

Reason I wanted to see the grid.

>the weight is about 700 grams as now

Less than 2 pounds, very light. Settings will be low, possibly near stock for many. My MultiWii Quad weighs 4.2 pounds, a whole nother ball game.

guy1a

hi

as i saw the things are getting better .. i had the FC installed back to the tri copter it was meant to be ...
now starting the settings again.

also found the "how to" for the bmp085 barometer ...
so i will try it.

will let you know !

p.s. i had the quad on scale .. it was 1050 grams w/ battery ..

guy1a

you are GOOD !

it is as stable as a baby when asleep :)

i connected the barometer .. gave it a switch .. but now i need to understand how it works ..
it is not auto hight ...

but thanks for all the best help you give !!!!

guy1a

electro2,

just wanted to say, you are so good !
i got almost everything to do what i want ( the GPS is not working as for now )
and i got to do some short range FPV flights .. this is now much fun !

thanks again !
:)

( i have APM 2.5 coming soon .. but i still like this board ! )

Electro 2

Cool, you're going. PID tuning of gyros, then accels, is next step. It's taken me about 2 months of daily flying to get them dead-perfect, but I'm currently very close. Then, worry about the fancy stuff, Mag hold, Baro hold, GPS function, GPS pos hold, then last of all, RTH. The prime inertial stability of the aircraft from gyros and accels has to be right for the other stuff to work correctly. Tuning them out of order is a recipe for an unstable or only conditionally stable, aircraft. And/or much frustration/crashes.