Alexmos 3rd axis sample

jfro

Aerial Fun
Woke up this morning to this. Excited to see the 3rd axis coming.
He didn't say when, but looks like it should be ready soon. Add on board, so logistics of getting them out should be a little quicker than original board.
Results are unreal, even from his very simple diy gimbal.
Can't wait for add on boards......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttKQ1GsSX64

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
which job the one of taking the aerial footage or designing and making copter/gimbals ?

Boris

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm excited because I have a small 2 axis Alexmos setup that works decently (except for the high pitch noise ) and will only get better. Next version of software is giving the option of getting rid of noise and a whole slew of new features. Now an add on 3rd axis. WOW.

I've ordered a 2nd board and will eventually build a unit to carry GH2, GH3 and 5D MK II. Just waiting for bigger motors. I assume this will happen over the next 30-90 days.

I'm going to sell my steadicam and jacket along with a small hand held unit. Why, because I've mounted my small unit on 2 - 15" carbon fiber rods from one of my camera kits with 2 handles. Jammed a GH1 on the gimble (had to take off the strap holders) and ran around the house and back yard. Went low and followed the cat outside. Footage is not bad. The cat footage was exceptional and I couldn't even see the lcd on the back of the camera. This is huge. Hand shooting with this type gimble is a lot less demanding then on our copters. It's also something my back will handle better.

Now, I'll end up with the same technology on my x8 and for hand shooting. It's absolutely amazing what the type of technology is bringing us.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
eventually one board and one IMU. For the board already out which only have two axis there will be a upgrade or lets say it like this the flyduino viacopter version of the alexmos will have and upgrade possibility. Don't know how the others will deal with it !

Boris

jfro

Aerial Fun
From what I gather, it's a plug in module to be piggy backed on to the Alexmos board.
I presume it will work with any authorized Alexmos card. From the pictures I've seen of viacopter card, looks like the one I got in the USA.
I have another coming from a different dealer and I'm assuming it is going to be the same.

I'll probably be happy for a 2 axis on my copter and 3 on my hand held unit.

Keeping fingers crossed I'm reading this right....

Seeing some more samples this weekend of peeps getting their brushless gimbal rigs in the air and it's looking good.

Can anyone share some knowledge or point me to some posts on how to get control over the pitch from the radio? Hopefully, I'll get my 2 axis in the air this week and then try to figure out how to get pitch control with my radio. Once that's done, I'll want to figure out how to get a handheld pitch control on my hand held handle and also from a radio, hopefully without a flight control board.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Rocjock.....
Thanks. Sounds simple enough. Have open channel on my radio & extra cables.

Any idea for a hand switch or rocker panel. If not, maybe find the smallest radio in world to mount on hand unit.

I envision hand shooting run and gun style with 1 person needing at least tilt control.

Thanks for the guidance.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Jfro for a hand switch just use a servo tester and mount it to your rig !

Not all board will have and extension for the third axis ! I have seen some with three drivers on one board, which makes it a huge board and a form factor hard to mount on a copter. Take care when you buy 2 axis board now what the upgrade plan looks like if there are any etc.

Boris

ChrisViperM

This Alex Moskalenko is a true modern hero.....while Freefly & Co spend hundredthousends of $$ to be celebrated at the NAB, this guy is kicking their butt seriously.....

Q: Why is your new product MöVi MR so expensive ?
A: Ahmm...you know, there is a lot of R&D involved, blablabla....game-changer....blablabla

This Alex Moskalenko is doing R&D in his bedroom (watch the vid at the very beginning) and is making "field tests" in his tiny bathroom.....with great results. That guys resources are a fraction of the big guys, and he puts them to shame....big time.

Thank you Alex....

Chris

jfro

Aerial Fun
Will the Alexmos board supply power to my receiver?

Looking at my first board, I don't see any obvious connection for add on card for 3rd axis. 2nd board is on way from another source. Will have to wait.
Can always sell one board if connections aren't there. In the scheme of things, to lose 25-35% of what an Alexmos board cost on resale is not much compared to what we are spending on these multi's.

jfro

Aerial Fun
This Alex Moskalenko is a true modern hero.....while Freefly & Co spend hundredthousends of $$ to be celebrated at the NAB, this guy is kicking their butt seriously.....

A: Ahmm...you know, there is a lot of R&D involved, blablabla....game-changer....blablabla

This Alex Moskalenko is doing R&D in his bedroom (watch the vid at the very beginning) and is making "field tests" in his tiny bathroom.....with great results. That guys resources are a fraction of the big guys, and he puts them to shame....big time.

Thank you Alex....

Chris

Yes, watching the video you see part of his home. Also, his multicopter and gimbal. Looks pretty basic.

I sure hope he is getting something from all the boards that are being sold.

I think we owe him a ton of gratitude. I'm hoping he will set up a paypal account so people can send a $10-$50 dollar thank you type donation. I for one would make a donation to thank him for what he has put together.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

No doubt.

Thank you Alex....

Chris

yeehaanow

Thank you Alex....

Chris

What Alex is doing is certainly great, but I think Freefly is on a whole other level and cater to the professional that doesn't have time to tinker with building a gimbal. They make a total solution for heavy cameras and long lenses, not just a controller board that the user has to tune and attach to a gimbal, find the right motors... etc. Who knows, maybe the MoVi has expensive gyro sensors that drive the cost up.

There's a lot of equipment that falls into the category of "yeah, I bet that cost $1000 in parts so why does it cost $15,000..?" that I would love to own, some of those things I have built myself, with varying success.
I have never been disappointed at the quality of gear from freefly, and I have no doubt the MoVi will be awesome. It's just sad that it's out of my budget and many hobbyists here, and I can see how some people might feel bitter about it.

Alex to the rescue! :)

tstrike

pendejo grande
I haven't seen an AlexM gimbal in person but I did handle the Movi and it is a fantastic piece of gear, whisper quiet. It's great if all your handheld shots are from belly level, try holding a 10 pound kettle ball in front of your face for any length of time. A steadicam will do more as in being able to tilt the camera down without a second operator. No one knows how much tweaking it'll need when changing lenses or bodies, to my knowledge FF hasn't released their gui for anyone to look at. What kind of return on investment you'll be able to get (ie: rental) is anyones guess. Heck, I was blown away by the quality of the cs 3 way gimbal and radians, spending 3 and a half times the amount isn't going to get you 3 and half times more better footage imho.

Besides, who doesn't respect a guy showing his own bathroom while he demo's his product?

JLO

Hello to all what dealer do you guys recommend in the US or somewhere else that is reliable and that has the AlexM boards
thanks