The anonymous Newb

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I got the following questions today from a site member that I won't name by name. He can name himself if he'd like but I'll just keep it anonymous.

Where does one begin with a starter "potty train" version of a Quad? The web is full of duel blade heli's that boast of "gyros' and "little experience needed" which I know from experience flying these things is a learned art that could get really expensive real fast. I used to fly actual experimental aircraft, specifically a Kolb airplane as in "you sit IN and fly" along with an Ultralight known as a quicksilver. When I played with the SIMS I would almost fall out of the chair when banking because of natural (in me) inertia. I'm not real good with the SIMS, but I would really love to actually fly and photo from one of these things. Do some of the members have a trade or sale of an older slower simpler unit they might consider letting go of for a reasonable price or is this subject even one to discuss here? If you want, respond and I will send you my e-mail so as not to bore the real pro's (other than you) by wasting their time. thanks

First of all, I'm hardly a "real pro" although I appreciate the compliment!!:):) I've managed to have some success but I defer the harder questions to many of you with much more meaningful experience than what I have to offer. Having said that, what about a starter quad?

What say the gentlemen (any lady folks here yet? :confused:) of the multi-rotors? Any suggestions for a nice stable quad for a new guy to have a go at? What is the ultimate in docile flying these days?

I'd maybe suggest a snap-quad with a kk board. Then you'll just need four motors and speed controllers plus the wiring and stuff to bring it together. That would get you flying and the frame looks indestructible. Anyone?

Thanks,
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I started with a Gaui Quad as I am sure many on here did also. The Lotus or even the little xcraft is a possibility but I dont know them. The Gaui worked for me fine and there are loads of places offering RTF out of the box set ups. Saying that I have to say my Blade mCX2 was my trainer as I got into this to get off the computer.. now I spend more time on the computer searching out answers to my question.. Obviously this is the place I have landed and thanks to Bart for setting it up and all the contributing members THIS PALCE FOR ADVICE. After looking and reading LOTS of members posts and profiles we have a biggest and divers RANGE of knowledge in the MRW.

DAVE

Crash

Defies Psychics
That really depends on if the person wants to learn to build a quad or just wants to learn to fly without breaking the bank.

This looks appealing to me for a good DIY first timer's kit or even for someone who wants a mini quad: http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.h...ed=KKMulticopter&sn=micro_multi_full&id_no=49

Later on, the flight board could be replaced with one which has more sensors and auto stabilization. Those options require more tuning with a laptop and more initial setup.

Here's the same frame without a flight board: http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.h...d=KKMulticopter&sn=micro_multi_power&id_no=50

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Bartman, I am he, the perpetrator of that message. I'm now flying , and actually halfway decent at the CX-3 which is the beginner copter of anyone that doesn't want to buy the plastic industry's total inventory, which is what I have done on my two previous Falcon 40's ($500). I so believably got sucked into by a drooling x-copter sales ad and my own imagination; "NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY, FLY'S RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, ANYONE CAN FLY IT! and so on!! Boy they saw me coming. But that taught me a great deal and now I am getting closer to looking in the direction of a multi rotor platform. If the industry was just a little more truthful, they would probably have more sales than they could handle. But they bust a lot of peoples bubble when they buy the impossible dream and continually crash, finally putting the parts away never to graduate into something bigger and better. Honesty would pay much better than selling lies. No one I have ever met has flown a heli for the first time ---right out of the box. But someday with all the gyro's and technology being displayed on this site, my grandchildren (I'm 66) will be flying and taking pictures that would challenge the quality of today aerial photography and do it with a $49.95 quad with built in camera of say 20 megapixel with no prior experience. Because of individuals like you here, these things are expanding upon themselves tenfold. But I am closer to the want to right out of the box than most are here. Your young and you are willing to experiment.

And thanks to Crash, I now have a site that makes something reasonably priced that I might just be able to get into. I appreciate the help Crash and Bart and Droider. I really do and I will continue to following the ever evolving saga taking place on this great forum!

Bartman

it's hard to believe but it was only seven short months ago that i unsheathed my credit card and jumped into the abyss. time sure flies, doesn't it?
those gyro assisted coax helicopters are a great first step. if anyone needs a lead on one i'll find a link on ebay, they're available in the US on ebay for forty bucks delivered. they'll get your brain thinking about left and right, up and down, nose left, nose right and a multi-rotor will be a smaller step to conquer from there.
It's all good.
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I think its an unfortunate right of passage that everyone getting in to this gets their trowsers downed at least a couple of times before you get wise. I dod twice and it really greaves me because I thought I was a good at accessing people I deal with but unfortunately I was blagged.
I think one of the main problems is so many suppliers in this game are doing it as a second job. A couple of days not replying to emails or customer problems can spiral out of control and with the tinternet spreading the word of problems with one supplier and before you know it they have shut up shop and everyone dealing with them gets their fingers burnt. One particular supplier in the UK springs to mind, but lets not open that door again.
Now I aint looking for any BROWNIE POINTS here but again thanks to Bart for flexing his plastic seven months ago, and I would imagine still is to keep this great site running and developing in to a trouser down saver!
If any one wants info then this is the site for unbiased and honest information..

Dave

Macsgrafs

Dave you hit it right on the head, 2nd job, problems & goodbye..these are my main concerns with this side of the hobby. I recently heardof a flight control board supplie (no names mentioned) that has caused one of the members on this forum problems, I was going to buy the same board, so I kept in email contact with said supplier. All emails were being answered within 24 hours, until I enquired about "Have you sorted out the problems yet?"...that was 2 weeks ago & still no answer!
So yes, this forum has so far saved me in excess of £300.

Ross

Bartman

Think of us when it's time to purchase a GoPro! Using the links at the site to enter the GoPro store will generate a commission for the site.
Glad we're helping and thanks to Ken and Dave (Dave and Ken) for their services as moderators.
Bart