Hexa build

Made a wooden frame on Monday with a view to flying a heavy super simple thing but then decided heck why not fast forward to a G10 version using the arm design from our TriCopter.

So far so good, it came together well.

IMG_0027.jpg

My folks are coming to watch the Royal Wedding here and then we are going to attend a party in the village later so no time to continue today. (Just fixing this build log in time)

We bought some boxes last week for CopterControl boards and they were way to small, some new ones arrived yesterday and they were way too big!

It would be rude to solder ESCs while my parents visit would'nt it?

I think I can retire my Gaui now!

BOM

1 Hexacopter frame set from Flying wings @£79

1 CopterControl board available shortly from Flying Wings £69.95

2 * Scorpion Power sets @87.95 = £175.90

6 * HiModel Professional 18 amp

6 * Himodel 1450kv model motors

Total £324.85

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

cool hex, how was it cut out, CNC ?

awesome workshop !

i find the sistema boxes work well, round, watertight, fits a kkuk board, a reciever and not much else

soldering is always "on"

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Great video Gary. Any video with more laughing than speaking is OK by me. :)

We don't do very serious at Robs!

I was really cheeky and said to my dad that my soldering is rubbish could he show me how to do it again. So he did.... He was an electronics engineer for years so knows what hes doing.

fathersoldering.jpg

Hooray

Will shrink wrap the power distribution bit along with hot glue covering the plugs exposed wiring.

power.jpg

Ok finished the power distribution board and added the motors

finishedpower.jpg

Here it is with speed controllers and motors

motorson.jpg

Now if you can tell me where the safe place is that I left my bag of props it would be a great help.

I bet I'm not the only person that puts stuff somewhere safe and forgets where that safe place is.

They are just some generic 2208/14 1450s and some 18 Amp speed controllers.

These are the ones that will come with a kit

Motor_Set.gif

Its the TriCopter power set times 2 with some different props.

It flew, very happy with the outcome.

Now its time to sort out that prop adapter and sort the PIDs, will just turn everything down slightly. Then its onto making some sort of landing gear/camera mount.

Not the lightest airframe in the world but very strong I think.

Buzzed

Gary looks like you had fun even though it was a handful. My last Hexa crash was because of wind gusts to 25 knots. Lesson learned, the next time the winds pick up I'll be sitting it out on the bench.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
gary,
not looking for an exact answer but about how much additional thrust would you say you have if you wanted to add weight? i'm wondering if the board is stable or if the motors are working sufficiently hard to keep the copter from being jumpy.

edit: thanks for the plug!!!! just saw it at the end of the video. thanks!

thanks,
bart

@ Buzzed yeah I won't be rushing to fly in these winds generally. I certainly need to get handier with the sticks as well.

@ Bart are you after how much it will lift?? I can try lift something I guess. Its a very heavy frame so I don't think much more.

What I would like to find now is the most efficient props. Also perhaps make another plate on the bottom to create two spaces for batteries to run in parallel and incorporate skids and a camera mount.

That might take more than a week. This first bit was easy.

Went out flying with my friend David last night, he's a legend really very good pilot and talented engineer.

Here's his shots

rape_fields_4-5-11_1.jpg

You can just see the hexa in that.

rape_fields_4-5-11_3.jpg

Summer has arrived very early this year, getting very dry actually over here. But I think thats just about to change a little.